December 23, 2014
For Immediate Release
For more information, contact:
IHA Concludes 2014 by Welcoming Community Orthopedic Surgery, P.C. & Huron Valley Hand Surgery
ANN ARBOR, MI – (December 23, 2014) – IHA is pleased to announce its planned integration with Community Orthopedic Surgery, P.C & Huron Valley Hand Surgery, effective December 31, 2014. With offices in the Michigan Orthopedic Center on the St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor campus and in Brighton, the practice, comprised of Michael S. Fitzsimmons, MD; Fred M. Hankin, MD; John V. Hogikyan, MD; James L. Telfer, MD; and Mark R. Wilson, MD; has provided compassionate, patient focused care to patients across Southeast Michigan and beyond since 1984.
Dr. Walter “Mac” Whitehouse, Jr., IHA Surgery Department Chair commented that “these are not only nationally-recognized surgeons, but also outstanding individuals whom we are thrilled to welcome to the IHA family as IHA Community Orthopedic Surgery.”
“Ready and efficient exchange of clinical services between primary, specialty, and subspecialty providers is vital to delivering the high-quality, cost-effective care that patients need and expect today,” says Michael S. Fitzsimmons, MD, President of Community Orthopedic Surgery, P.C. & Huron Valley Hand Surgery. “Joining the IHA team enables us to achieve this by integrating our expansive range of orthopedic services with a high-quality physician group.”
Dr. Whitehouse also adds, “the surgeons provide a broad range of orthopedic capabilities along with sub-specialty expertise which all of us at IHA are now thrilled to have on the same team.”
- Dr. Fitzsimmons has been active in general orthopedic surgery with particular emphasis on hand and microvascular reconstruction. This has included management of carpel tunnel syndrome, wrist pain, and complex replantation of free flap transfers. He has been involved with resident education at a number of programs. Dr. Fitzsimmons will serve as the Site Medical Director.
- Dr. Hankin has interests in a variety of hand problems including congenital deformities, cerebral palsy, acute and late tendon injuries, rheumatologic conditions, infections, and hand problems related to quadriplegia.
- Dr. Hogikyan has been an active provider of care to individuals with a variety of hand afflictions. He has wide ranging experience in management techniques for trauma, compressive neuropathies, nerve and tendon injuries, arthritis and fractures. Common surgeries performed include carpal tunnel release, tendon repair and arthritis surgery.
- Dr. Telfer is active in general orthopedic surgery with an emphasis on sports medicine. His practice includes surgery of the knee and shoulder as well as primary joint replacement.
- Dr. Wilson emphasizes hand and microvascular related conditions in his practice. Various types of non-surgical as well as surgical management are utilized in the care of conditions such as arthritis, trauma, nerve compression and wrist pain. Microvascular reconstruction is used for wound problems such as open fractures and osteomyelitis. He treats avascular necrosis of the hip joint at this center with vascularized fibula grafting.
According to Bill Fileti, IHA’s President & CEO, this integration with Community Orthopedic Surgery, P.C. & Huron Valley Hand Surgery represents another major development in a year full of successes and expansion. IHA celebrated its 20th anniversary in February 2014 and opened a new 44,000 square foot medical center at Domino’s Farms Office Park in May 2014. In June, IHA integrated with Michigan Heart and added 47 nationally recognized comprehensive cardiovascular physicians and practitioners. With an active and on-going physician recruitment program, IHA also strengthened its primary care and specialty capabilities with over 50 new physicians and practitioners.
“IHA continues to evolve into one of the largest and best multi-specialty group practices in Michigan,” notes Fileti. “With integrations, such as this upcoming partnership with Community Orthopedic Surgery, P.C. & Huron Valley Hand Surgery, IHA continues our commitment to expanding our capabilities in order to give our patients outstanding quality, easy access and cost effective care.”
# # # #
IHA is one of the best and largest multi-specialty groups in Michigan. IHA employs more than 1,500 staff members, which includes 425 providers consisting of: physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and midwives across 55 practices in Southeast Michigan. IHA provides high quality medical care and excellent service to more than 355,000 active patients. Recognized as one of Michigan’s top performing medical groups, IHA also ranks in the top quartile for patient satisfaction nationally. Offering extended office hours, Urgent Care, and access to clinical research studies, IHA demonstrates that it cares by bringing safe, high quality, comprehensive and affordable care to its patients. For more information about IHA, visit www.ihacares.com.
About Community Orthopedic Surgery, P.C. & Huron Valley Hand Surgery
Community Orthopedics has been providing high quality, nationally-recognized orthopedic care to patients in Southeast Michigan for over 30 years. With five exceptional surgeons – four specializing in hand and microvascular surgery and one in general orthopedics with an emphasis on sports medicine – Community Orthopedics has consistently delivered efficient, compassionate, patient focused care with an emphasis on teamwork. Community Orthopedics has conveniently located clinics in the Michigan Orthopedic Center on the St. Joseph Mercy campus in Ann Arbor and in the St. Joseph Mercy Brighton building on Grand River in Brighton.